Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Breaking Up With Metro: The Dump and Jump

Metro is most useful for commuting during rush hour. During off peak hours, an attempt at a short hop for a quick errand can be heart breaking. From frustrated Metro rider Ben:

I think Metro and I are going to have to break up. Imagine walking into a restaurant, paying full price, waiting twice as long as one would expect, only to get half a meal.
That's pretty much what happened to my relationship with Metro the other day.
I decided to flirt with taking Metro to pick my girlfriend at Union Station. I so wanted things to work out with Metro, but sadly, I was spurned.
I entered at Farragut North around 5:00 p.m., to be greeted by a sign saying it would be 10 minutes until the next train toward New York Ave. I was only going four stops, so I toyed with the idea of just being friends and hopping in a cab to save myself a little woe.
But I wanted to see if there was potential for something more.
I could feel my pulse quicken as I got on that next train, but alas, the train got cold feet and went out of service at Gallery Place/Chinatown. Needless to say, I was emotionally exhausted.
Heartbroken, out 15 minutes and a buck and a half, I did what I should have done in the first place: dump Metro and jump in a cab.
WMATA, consider this my dear john letter.

add to del.icio.us Add to Blinkslist add to furl Digg it add to ma.gnolia Stumble It! add to simpy seed the vine TailRank post to facebook

4 comments:

Michael said...

Circulator's only a buck and runs every 10 minutes. It goes from FN to US.

Unknown said...

I bought a car back in February, and have not taken Metro since then. Don't miss it one bit.

Anonymous said...

You can check the arrival boards on your 'net equipped mobile phone. Works great and cuts down on the waiting time. wmata.com/mobile. Go to next train and select your station.

Anonymous said...

I quit metro a couple years ago and I am lovin it!

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Site Meter